Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Add a chic kufi hat to your wardrobe

I got a new hat yesterday. It's called a Kufi.


In West Africa, a kufi is the traditional hat for men (although it can be worn by men or women), and is part of the national attire of most of the countries in the region.

The kufi is worn by Christians, Muslims, and African Jews. Many grandfathers and other older men wear a kufi every day to symbolize their status as wise elders, religious people, or family patriarchs.

Within the United States, it has become identified primarily with persons of West African heritage, who wear it to show pride in their culture, history, and religion (whether Christianity, Islam or Traditional African religions). Today, many African-Americans wear the kufi during weddings, funerals, graduations and Kwanzaa celebrations

Often made of kente cloth, mudcloth, or knitted or crocheted in a variety of yarns.

I love mine. I purchased it at Arts Africans in Emeryville. I was so happy to find a hat that fit (you know my story about my head  size - which I attribute to brains and lots of locs) Anyway, I love hats and this one was perfect.

I think I’ll order a few more online (I noticed this site has a store which happens to be local to me so maybe I’ll pop in and see what they have on hand.)

Here’s the link if you’d like to check them out

Or you can make your own.



 I also hear they have kufis for babies and children (they are the knit variety). The possibilities are endless. 
Crate & Barrel


No comments:

Post a Comment