Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Happy Birthday to my Sisterlocks - Reflection on 15years of being loc'd


Today is the 15th anniversary of my Sisterlocks! 
It has been a very pleasant journey and embracing the Sisterlocks lifestyle has been a joy! I would not trade it for the world!


But I tell you what I will change. That is, the number of locs that I have. I really love the fullness of my hair but I am going to be retiring in Costa Rica, and so far I do not see that there are any licensed Sisterlocks Consultants there, so I am going to have to re tighten my own hair. 
The thought of this task seems daunting to me. So with the approval of my current Sisterlocks Consultant, we are beginning to combine some of my locs.  Currenttly I have in excess of 500. I would really like to get them down to somewhere in the 300's. We'll see
Stay tuned for the outcome. 

Today in celebration if how far I've come. I am reposting from my blog in 2000.
An excerpt from the day I got my Sisterlocks and a some thoughts pro.

Enjoy! 
My (Sisterlocks) narrative journey begins 2 weeks before the big event. These are actual excerpts from my journal. My desire is to give others a sense of what brought me to this point and the feelings I encountered as I shifted my awareness to embrace my authentic beauty.
2000
I'm writing this mostly for those who are considering locs or who are newly locked . I felt a sense of frustration because I had a difficult time getting information and I had many questions. Those of you who are comfortably past this stage may have no interest in reading about my thoughts so please click here to go directly to my site for photos, links, etc
2015
Day 14-...... As a 50 year old African American perm-a-holic, I've sported a ton of hair dos in my time!! I can honesty say that I am truly exhausted with the traditional ways of dealing with my hair. When I look back on it now-I think it's a little strange-that I never really questioned why I relaxed my hair or why I willingly spent so much time and money on it. As far back as I can remember, getting my hair done was rarely an enjoyable experience. Mostly it was done out of necessity (or should I say... a "chemical" dependency). A good hairdo was somewhat like the illusive butterfly! Getting it right was always just beyond my reach! I remember one Saturday, I sat in an over crowded salon for over 4 hours waiting for my turn in the chair. What-in-the-world-was-I- thinking? And what in the world are so many other black women thinking as they faithfully march off to the shop each week only to have to endure the endless, senseless waiting! At least that time I had the good sense to walk out.
Today is the day 11/3/2000 
Well, we're just about finished. It's been a little over 13 hours and my butt is numb! I can't believe her fingers still work. Gee, and I don't see a part anywhere! My hair is boinging out all over the place and I have cotton ball tips. I'm wondering "what kind of hair is this anyway"??? Che chuckles and assures me that all is well (although at that moment I'm not sure I believe her). She says my hair is is fine and my locs will be gorgeous! We rolled the top portion so that I could see that the cotton balls could be tamed.
Nov 2015
After the session I hurried home, excited but a bit perplexed. Somehow I thought my hair would resemble the pictures I had seen of other people after their initial locking session. The next morning I slept in late and didn't take any phone calls. I wasn't sure what I thought. I needed some time to reflect.

I certainly do not feel perplexed today!




No comments:

Post a Comment