Saturday, March 17, 2012

My new favorite African Singer and The Door of No Return



The reason for today's post is two-fold.

I LOVE MUSIC!!

One,
to show a short condensed version of our journey to Guinea Bissau W Africa (3 of us made the journey after having our DNA traced back to the country. We also built a school which we participated in the village celebration of its opening) I did a 10 day journal on my devon4africa blog highlighting each day. If you haven't checked it out please do. If you are African American,  have your DNA traced!!!  If you need more info contact me. I can tell you it will give you a missing piece of your heritage that you will be forever grateful for. Trust me on that!

Two,
we also spent a few days in Senegal and I am in LOVE with a Senegalese singer named Youssou N'Dour. He is also a politcial person and was in in the mix for the upcoming elections there. His ex wife is Viviane N'Dour is also a wonderful singer. I did several slideshows using Youssous' music.

Below there is one in which Youssou & Lauryn Hill are featured in Kool & The Gang's Summer Madness.

My favorite song is the Grammy Award winning, 7 Seconds, which he sings with Neneh Cherry.  That song really hit home when we visited The Door of No Return on Goree Island.  In the slideshow you can see that I am visibly shaken. I have attached that video as well. 7 Seconds is  is about the first positive 7 seconds in the life of a child just born not knowing about the problems and violence in our world.

Goree Island Senegal is a beautiful island that reminds me of Paris but has a horrendous legacy of brutality as 20 million Africans were captured and sent to the Americas and Europe to become slaves. SIX million died. Africa has not recovered from the impact.


for pictures and story about The Door of No Return 
My story is on day 3
and 
day 4

                                                              Summer Madness

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful slide shows with such amazing emotional depth. There is no compensation that could ever be made for the damage done by abduction and forced servitude but you have made one step towards healing by finding your family and going home...and sharing the ties that bind you together. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete