Thursday, January 19, 2012

I just discovered The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl


I really pride myself on being current, but I have to admit this one got by me. Apparently there is a video series called ABG | The Misadventures of AWKWARD Black Girl, that has been circulating since sometime last year.  Nope, never heard of it. Never saw it posted on the blogs I follow or the articles I read. I only heard of it today... after the series had already concluded.  So I spent a little time researching and watching the 1st episodes.

I'll chalk up the oversight on this one, to my age.  I am a little older so I'm kind of past some of the awkward black girl stage, but some of it never leaves you and I remember it all quite clearly.

How about you?

Here's episode one, followed by a bit of background and some up close and personal talk from the creator of the series.




Background
Below is some information from ABG's Kickstarter donation site where she raised a whopping $56,259. A-Mazing!

Why ABG exists:
"Television today has a very limited scope and range in its depictions of people of color. As a black woman, I don’t identify with and relate to most of the non-black characters I see on TV, much less characters of my own race. When I flip through the channels, it's disheartening. I don’t see myself or women like me being represented. I’m not a smooth, sexy, long-haired vixen; I’m not a large, sassy black woman; an angry Post Office employee. I’m an awkward black girl.
And I’m not alone."


No comments:

Post a Comment