Wednesday, October 26, 2011

African Hair Trends - African women and natural hair


Just as I promised last week, I am taking the second part of this article today. Some people are going to crucify me because of this article, but it doesn't really matter. What matters to me is the positive results this article will yield in the lives of my fellow African women.

Today's article is about hair extensions. Everybody knows me as one woman who does not joke with her hair. I cherish my hair and skin so much that I find myself spending time and resources to pamper myself. Like the numerous Nigerian women, I found myself spending fortunes on Brazillian, Indian, Peruvian, and Bohemian hair extensions. It wasn't until recently my attention was drawn to how much I waste on frivolities just because I have very low self esteem.

I have always been into beauty and I do it with so much passion. I love being stylish and fashionable at all times. But recently, in my struggle to know more about Africa, I stumbled on something, a publication that changed my life and reasoning.

What I am going to talk about today has nothing to do with religion because I am sure some are already thinking there could have been a change in her religious belief. I am not one of those fanatics who believe a woman should not use make up or wear good clothes. This article is geared towards the liberation of African women from slavery. It is for the African woman to realise herself and regain her self esteem once again.

There is this wave of change blowing all over Africa and I can tell you it is time for Africa to arise and rule the world. This is the time for Africa to regain her lost glory and contrary to the usual, African women won't be left behind. We are going to champion this great cause. But you know what; we are not going to be taken serious, we are not going to be respected if we go on struggling to become like them. For how long are we going to allow fellow humans give us laws on how to live and carry our hair? When are we going to get other races to respect and cherish our look?

You may try to prove me wrong by telling me your desire to have their look has nothing to do with self-esteem. You can come out to tell me you are a woman with very high self-esteem. I agree with you, everyone appreciates you and your courage, but the truth remains that you are unconsciously living with a very low self-esteem. You have no pride in yourself. Someone recently told me not to let my head swell with people making comments about my look. Guess what my response was; people won't celebrate you until you learn to celebrate yourself. I know I am beautiful, I am in love with me and so your opinion about my look doesn't matter. This is the truth, fellow African women. We are black and beautiful with the best skin in the whole world. We are unique with rare features.

Why is it that even African employers don't want a woman with that Afro look in their establishment? This is because our colonial masters did not just colonize our lands; they colonized and are still in control of our minds. They use the media to discredit our features. They have almost succeeded in destroying all, I mean everything about Africa and we being their slaves are still ignorant of the level of damage they have done to us and our natural heritage.

I am going to ask you all the questions I asked myself before taking this very tough decision; what is your reason for wearing the weave-on and lace wig? What are they made of? What is their source? What is their own interpretation of your person when they see you struggling to be like them? How many of them have changed their look to become you? What are we indirectly telling our creator when we attach those things on our hair?

There is this revolution going on in Africa and I believe Nigeria is not going to be left behind. After my friends called me back to our lost heritage and the glory of an African woman, I became ashamed of myself.
this article came from ModernGhana.com

No comments:

Post a Comment