Friday, August 26, 2011

On the Path 2000 - Sisterlocks 6 months

REFLECTIONS ON A HAIRSTYLE
How time flies. I'm so excited to share my photos with you. My hair is now a little over 6 inches long on the top and a little over 4 inches in the back.  It's still pretty straight on the top,  The back is beginning to Loc so I think that 4 inches is not an accurate description as I think it would be longer if it were straight.  Anyway I am thrilled with the way it looks.   

I took the re-tightening class but I must admit I would rather have my consultant do it for me. I was told that I no longer have to braid and band when washing - Hallelujah!  I also graduated from the Sisterlock Starter Shampoo to the Salon Formula.  That's it!  I don't use anything else.  My hair is soft and feels good to the touch. I still play in it every chance I get.  I stopped rolling it all over and now roll only the top front (after washing and when necessary). I still roll the top because my hair is much softer and straighter on top and it doesn't give me the look I want without the aid of some curls. I've gotten used to the gray and feel it gives me a bit of character. 


A few months ago I lost a tiny loc in the back. I was very upset because I had heard that Sisterlocks never fall off unless you aren't taking care of your hair.  I knew that wasn't the case for me and I immediately checked with my consultant, who didn't seemed to be too concerned over the matter. She told me that most people have some "fragile" area on their head and that sometimes you will have problems in those areas.  

I could have chosen to keep the Loc as it wasn't completely off but I decided to get rid of it. I tugged on the end and off it came. It has since begun to grow back. In my perm-head days I rarely had all of my hair in the lower back area. The top would grow very long and at some point the back would begin to break. 

I believe the continued use of chemicals on my hair has taken it's toll. I have become very interested in the effect of chemicals on African American hair and have done some research which you may read in a piece I wrote and distributed at our recent Hair Day- Things Your Hairdresser Never Told You. Oh, and don't be discouraged or afraid if you have a little mishap like losing a loc. It's not the end of the world.  Rarely will one loc make a noticeable difference. Just take care of your hair and check with your consultant!
                                             
Re growth of tiny loc
  
The Back Now


My morning hair "ritual" is no longer. I think I read somewhere that the ritual is look in the mirror, smile and go.  I sleep with a silk (well, it's probably polyester) cap at night. In the morning I look in the mirror and I'm amazed at how good I look (after applying a bit of makeup).  I separate the locks.  Sometimes I spritz the back with a little water and I add a hair ornament or clip.  That's it. Out the door I go. It takes maybe 5 minutes! 
Oh! and did I mention that......   
        
I   LOVE  M SISTERLOCKS


No comments:

Post a Comment