Sunday, June 23, 2013

You can TOUCH my hair


Opportunity knocks!

I know I'm a little late posting this story but if you haven't seen it check it out below.

NEW YORK -- For most women of color, being asked "Can I touch your hair?" (or the sensation of an uninvited hand already in her tresses) is irritating and uncomfortable, to say the least.

However, on Thursday afternoon in New York City's Union Square Antonia Opiah extended an open invitation to all curious passers-by for an exhibition called "You Can Touch My Hair." Opiah was exploring the "tactile fascination" with black women's hair by gathering a trio of women with different hair textures and styles (locks, straight/weave and loose, natural hair) and allowing strangers the opportunity to fondle their follicles without the fear of being cussed out or slapped. Bedecked with signs reading "You can touch my hair," the ladies made their hair available for two hours to anyone with the courage to take them up on the offer.


No comments:

Post a Comment